Thursday, October 19, 2006

Illustration Friday: Smitten
















I wasn't going to attempt to illustrate IF's current theme, but while reading a newspaper article a few days ago that word 'smitten' jumped out at me from an article about people splurging on luxury items despite the poor economy here in Michigan. With the article was a photo of a woman who had just paid $8,000 for a coat that she was simply *smitten* with. Yikes. She had the most smug, self-satisfied expression on her face as she posed...stating that she does a better job when she feels good about what she's wearing.

I thought I'd try to capture that haughty look in a quick pencil sketch, with some color added in Photoshop. I didn't quite get it, but it was fun trying.

For the record, I can't imagine why anyone would spend $800 for a coat, let alone $8,000.

6 comments:

tony said...

i think she's comes across as smug perfectly. cute illo, sad story.

Jeannetto said...

i'd like to smite her. great drawing

Amy Zaleski said...

Even if you HAVE that kind of money to spend, that's plain sinful! Great take on the theme. I'm glad you posted it!

Anonymous said...

I love this, and the story behind it. SOoo the case for too many folks.

I've featured you in my Illustration Friday picks of the week at my arts forum, Musemart. :)

Michael O'Connell said...

chrisssie… how beautifffully said… and drawn… my wife just bought a fox coat… i'm sure it would have cost over $1000 new… we bought it at the goodwill for $40… there's just not much call for fur coats here in the sunshine state… btw… the coloring looks fine…

thanks for the visit…

Chrissie A said...

Thanks a bunch for the comments, everyone! (audrey, I'll be sure to check out your arts forum!)